Friday, April 7, 2017

A Gentleman’s War: AWI battle at the junction

A 28mm game of A Gentleman’s War by Howard using Perry and Old Glory 2nd Ed. Miniatures.

Howard, as the Americans,  defended a crossroads from FusilierDan and myself.
As Howard has already written a brief account of the action I will paste it here.

H: "I had a largish force of American rebels, mostly militia, defending a road junction. with a decent position with a walled field as centre. Eight units total. Dan and Matt approached from different directions with three units of Hessian grenadiers, Queen Rangers, Hessian jagers and 'Tarleton's Horse. 

     

     










I was in for a hammering, I thought, but my militia rifles held up the much better jagers the whole game (avoiding the morale test which they could demand a re-roll on), Matt launched one grenadier unit ahead of the others and got shot up badly. His second destroyed one of my two Continental units, then almost did the same to the second and I thought it was all up when his remaining grenadiers stormed the wall and drove back a militia unit in disorder. But another militia unit, defying the gods of probability, stepped up and rolled about nine 6s to win a melee and drive them back over the wall.




So we 'd been playing two hours, and called it a draw, in the best 'goal in added time' sense."

1 comment:

  1. A good looking game which seems to have been enjoyed by everyone. We're actually doing an AWI campaign at our club in Blighty and I find myself as the Patriots. There are two entries on my FB page so far and we will shortly be fighting the Battle of Savannah later this month.

    ReplyDelete

10mm Marlborough man

 Testing out Howard's new game for 1700s Era. Grid based.  10mm figures.